New Televisions Throwing Home Theater a Curve Ball
Flat screen televisions serve as the centerpiece of home entertainment systems across the Bay Area, but a growing market for curved screens has challenged the prevailing entertainment paradigm and shifted consumer demand. Is this new technology right for you?
- A “movie theatre” experience. You are immersed in the picture due to the curve of the screen.
- Better depth perceptions. Even 2-D films have a 3-D feel due to the depth enhancement.
- Wider field of vision. While curved screens technically increase the field, the actual difference is so slight as to be practically negligible.
- Better contrast. Improved contrast is a function of the technology included in the curved TVs as opposed to something created by the physical curve of the glass itself.
- They look cool. For some people, it’s all about the style.
- Limited “sweet spot.” There is a perfect seating area in relation to the curved screen. If you aren’t in it, you won’t experience most of the benefits listed above.
- Limited viewing range. The screen becomes unwatchable from certain angles in the room. If many people watch your home theater at once on a regular basis – for instance, if you own a bar or entertain guests frequently – a curved screen won’t a good choice.
- Reflection issues. TV tech critics debate whether curved or flat televisions handle reflection better. So far, most analysts prefer flat screens.
- Size matters. With curved screens, the bigger, the better. To optimize your viewing pleasure, you will need a lot of wall space.
- Difficult installation. These screens are awkward to install, and they can stick out into the room and cause traffic flow issues.
- Expense. Curved screens cost significantly more than flat ones.
San Francisco Home Theater Installation Experts
Karbon Home Theaters is San Francisco’s leader in home entertainment products and installation services. Visit our showroom to see the latest in audio, home theater, home automation technologies or contact us by phone at 925-798-7600 or online from our contact page.